Hale Kau Kau
Feeding with Compassion and Aloha
About This Ministry
Hale Kau Kau, “House of Meals”, was founded by a diverse group of South Maui individuals in 1991, and still continues this service today at Saint Theresa Church. Our mission: To alleviate hunger by providing nutritious meals to the hungry and homebound in a safe, loving, and supportive environment.
Every night of the year we serve a free, hot, nutritious meal unconditionally—no questions asked—to anyone who comes to our kitchen at meal time.
Every night of the year we deliver a free, hot, nutritious meal to our elderly, ill, and disabled homebound clients in South Maui.
In collaboration with Keolahou Hawaiian Congregation Church, we also distribute weekly food baskets and emergency food supplies to families in crisis.
Fundraising is a major challenge. To donate directly to the Hale Kau Kau program please click here.
Who Pays for This Program?
1. Grants from the County of Maui, local foundations and businesses
2. Financial donations from organizations and individuals, Saint Theresa Church and other local churches
3. Donations of food, supplies, equipment, and services provided by local businesses
4. Fundraising events such as:
- Annual Dinner Show and Auction Event
- Mulligans on the Blue Annual Charity Golf Tournament
- Hotel and Lodging Industry Charity Walk
5. Discounted food from Maui Food Bank
6. Partnerships with local businesses such as retailers, growers, wholesalers and many, many more
Our mainstay for funding, however, is monetary donations from YOU, our many generous friends of Hale Kau Kau.
How You Can Support Hale Kau Kau
- Volunteer to be a Kitchen Helper or Pick Up/Delivery Driver
- Offer your clerical skills to support staff
- Join a Fundraising Committee
- Become a donor of money, food, goods or services
Monsignor Terrence Watanabe, Pastor
Advisory Board President
Steve Pawlak (2013-2016) 808-268-8131