About This Ministry
This ministry is focused on young people ages 5 through 13. The basic teachings of the Catholic faith are provided in each level, through a basic catechesis on the Sunday Gospels. Appropriate for each age level, provided is catechetical references, exercises and activities based on the words of Jesus Christ and on his Gospel as celebrated weekly in the Sunday assembly.
For First Eucharist the lessons invite the youth to:
- Recognize Eucharist as a sacrament of initiation
- Explore how the Christian community remembers and celebrates Jesus in its liturgy
- Dramatize the Gospel stories of Jesus feeding multitudes and eating a last supper with his friends
- Make connections between family meals and Eucharistic meals
- Do hands-on activities that involve them concretely in doctrinal concepts
- Pray with other children
- Work with parents at home on parallel themes and activities
For First Reconciliation the lessons focus on biblical stories as the source of Christian life:
- Jesus’ story of the Good Samaritan
- The ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount
- Jesus’ parable of the prodigal son and the merciful father
- His parable of the unforgiving servant
- Jesus’ Easter gift of peace and forgiveness to his first disciples
Religious Education at St. Theresa:
- Kindergarten through 5th Grade – Classes are held Sundays from 8:15 AM – 9:15 AM.
- Grade 6 – Confirmation – classes are Wednesday evenings 7:00 PM – 8:00 PM.
In Second Grade the focus is on preparation for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist.
RE Teachers are all active parishioners who gain significantly by guiding our youth at this vulnerable age.
Candie Lyla Pinaula